The onset of hot summer days makes it mandatory for everyone to apply a generous layer of a good sunscreen before stepping out. However, sunscreen helps in battling only a few of the many skin-related problems prevalent in summers. Acne, eczema, sunburns, dull skin, heat rashes and folliculitis are some of the lesser-known issues that demand special attention during summer.
While using a good sunscreen is a good first step, skincare during the summers requires more than just that. Thankfully, there are multiple home remedies for dull skin that work wonders for the summer-related skin problems. These concoctions save us from spending too much money on expensive brands or risking possible side-effects from chemical-based products. It also helps that all of these remedies require ingredients that can be easily found in every kitchen.
Natural Ways To Prevent Dull Skin In Summer:
Turmeric is a very commonly used household remedy for cuts and wounds due to its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It is amongst the dull skin remedies that are safe, inexpensive and effective. Turmeric works on the skin in more ways than one. It helps to deal with the common dull skin causes like inflammation, free radicals and low collagen production. It can also heal eczema, reduce acne scarring, prevent breakouts and reduce dark circles. The ideal way to use turmeric for dull skin during the summers is to combine it with other powerhouse ingredients that complement the properties of turmeric and show quick and noticeable results.
Using Turmeric For The Skin In Summers:
Mix together 3 tablespoons of gram flour and ½ teaspoon of turmeric. Add a few spoons of milk to make a thick paste. Apply this dull skin treatment face pack all over the face and neck and leave it for 10 minutes. Gently massage the face in order to exfoliate and remove the dead cells. Rinse off with cool water.
Milk: Although using milk for skincare in summer is a great idea for all, it is especially recommended for people suffering from darkening of skin due to excessive sun exposure. Along with helping to lighten the skin and prevent further darkening, milk also helps with hydrating the skin, battling dryness, preventing pimples and making the skin soft.
Using Milk For The Skin In Summers:
Take a few spoons of cold, raw milk in a bowl. Using a cotton ball, apply the milk on your face and neck. Leave it to dry for 15 minutes. Rinse off with cool water. Milk can also be mixed with other ingredients like sandalwood powder, gram flour, oats etc. to form a thick paste and used as a face pack for dry and dull skin.
- Fuller’s earth: Summers are synonymous with dull skin, acne and dryness. Fuller’s earth can single handedly help in battling all of these. The combination of minerals present in fuller’s earth benefits the skin immensely, especially during the hot summer months. It helps in absorbing any excessive oils on the skin while preventing dry skin at the same time. This plays a very important role in eliminating the possibility of pimples.
Using Fuller’s Earth For The Skin In Summers:
Mix 3 tablespoons of fuller’s earth with 3-4 tablespoons of rosewater to form a thick paste. This forms an excellent face pack for dry and dull skin. The fuller’s earth keeps the skin glowing and hydrated while the rose water works as a toner to tighten the pores.
- Aloe Vera: A common ingredient in products designed to heal sunburns, aloe vera does a great deal of good for the skin during summers. It battles numerous dull skin causes to help one achieve healthy skin during summers. It contains unique compounds and minerals that can soothe and hydrate the skin. Regular use of aloe vera is also known to help with acne problems, wrinkle prevention and tighter skin. It can be teamed up with a variety of other natural ingredients to formulate multiple home remedies for dull skin.
Using Aloe Vera For The Skin In Summers:
- Aloe vera gel can be applied directly on the skin for its nourishing and cooling qualities. Leave the gel on the skin for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with cool water.
- Aloe vera gel mixed with honey and turmeric makes an amazing face pack for dry and dull skin. Apply a pack made with 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 1 teaspoon of honey and a pinch of turmeric to the skin. Leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing.
- Olive Oil: A very grave danger of sun cancer is an unavoidable part of the summer season. Application of olive oil to the skin has proven to help with fighting cancer-causing cells. Using olive oil as a part of dull skin treatment in summers gives the face a very youthful glow. The oil has antioxidant properties that fight the appearance of wrinkles and also assist with reversing skin damage that is caused due to ageing.
Using Olive Oil For The Skin In Summers:
Take 3-4 drops of virgin olive oil in your palms during bedtime and massage it on your face and neck in gentle, upward strokes. Keep massaging the oil into the skin for 4-5 minutes. Use a damp towel to wipe off any excessive oil from the face. Now dry the face with a tissue. Repeat this every night during the summers.
Vitamin C is great for the skin during summers and lemons are loaded with it. This makes lemons one of the best dull skin remedies. The vitamin C and citric acid combination present in lemons works as a lightening agent for the skin, helping with sun tan and darkening of the skin. Lemons also make the skin look youthful, glowing and fresh during the hot season. Not only this, they are also effective in preventing skin infections and acne caused due to the heat.
Using Lemon For The Skin In Summers :
Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with 3 tablespoons of cool water. Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture on your face and neck. Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse off. If you experience a burning sensation on the skin, wash the face immediately.
Mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice with 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel. Apply on the face and neck. Leave the mask on for 15 minutes and rinse.
- Cucumber : Just like consumption of cucumbers keeps the body hydrated, incorporating cucumbers in the summer skincare routines helps in keeping the skin hydrated. The cooling effect of cucumbers brings glow to the face, making it look bright and fresh. Using cucumbers for skin also assists in lightening dark circles.
Using Cucumber For The Skin In Summers:
The easiest way of using cucumbers for skincare is placing slices of cucumbers on your eyes and leaving them on for 20 minutes. Blend the cucumbers to make cucumber juice. Use a cotton ball to apply the juice all over the face and neck. Wash off once it dries.
Just like milk, honey is also effective in reducing tanning of the skin due to sun exposure. The bleaching properties of honey makes it a perfect ingredient to use for the lightening of acne scars and pigmentation. Honey is also a great moisturizer for the skin and helps to keep the skin soft and youthful.
Using Honey For The Skin In Summers:
Dampen your face and neck. Take 2 tablespoons of honey and gently massage it all over your face and neck for 3-4 minutes. Leave the honey to dry on the skin. Rinse off with cool water. Dull skin in summer is a condition everybody suffers from. The continuous exposure to the harmful UV rays of the sun, sweat and heat give rise to a variety of skin problems. Using these natural ingredients on dull skin during summer months is beneficial for every individual, irrespective of their age, gender and skin type. As all of these ingredients are 100% natural, they are suited even for people who have sensitive skin. This summer, say no to fancy serums, salon appointments and complicated procedures. All you need is a few basic ingredients from your kitchen to achieve skin that is youthful, glowing, healthy and summer-ready. – Ame Organic